Thursday, February 19, 2009

John 1: 35-42

I find it interesting that the first thing Jesus says to Andrew and the other (unnamed but possibly John himself) disciple is "What do you want?"

I mean, it's obvious isn't it? Even if you're not God in the flesh. If someone starts following you around presumably they want to talk to you, hear what you have to say, find out more about you. But Jesus, who "knew what was in a man" would have known everything about them. And still he asks them. Why?

I believe he asks them so that they think about their motives. I even hear the question phrased differently to cover all bases:

What do you want?
What do you want?
What do you want?
What do you want?

As in:

Are you following me for the novelty of it?
Do you know why you want to follow me?
What's you're motivation behind this?
Look deep into your heart - what do you really want?

I think the question covers all that and more - Jesus knows what they want, but he wants them to know what their motivation is.

And then, when Andrew fetches his brother to introduce him to Jesus, Jesus summarizes their whole relationship in one sentence.

"You are Simon son of John. You will be called Cephas"

I know who you are. I know where you come from. I also know that you will not stay in that place. I see who you really are inside, and who you will become.

No comments:

Post a Comment